Fixed vs Fluid vs Adaptive vs Responsive Layout
Nowadays, browsing a website has become exceedingly easy as the all modern gadgets like smart phones, laptops, desktops and even a television has an internet connection. So, as a web designer, you just can’t have a responsive web design and code a website by targeting a specific device. Because you will never know devices that people will use to browse your website.
In this article, you will find the difference between Fixed website layout, Fluid website layout, Adaptive website layout and Responsive website layout, which will help you to decide about the type of layout you want to adopt for your next web designing project.
Read Also: 11 Web Design Trends in 2018
1. Fixed Website Layout
A fixed website has a fixed layout and the components have to come inside it. The layout does not move in this option. The width of the layout does not change the screen resolution. This sort of a website layout is not user-friendly for the visitors as it does not adapt to the screen size of the device they are using.
Here are some advantages and disadvantages of using a fixed website page:
1) These layouts make it easier for designers to design and add functionalities to the page.
2) Since the sizes are the same for every browser, one does not have to worry about the size of the images.
1) A fixed layout can create a lot of extra white space when viewed on larger screen devices.
2) The usability of the fixed width website scores less as compared to other types.
2. A Fluid Website Design
A fluid design allows percentage width of the layout components. These components adjust to the screen resolution of the user. The designer can also keep certain elements as fixed, even in this kind of a design.
1) This type of a web page design is definitely more user-friendly than a fixed website design.
2) The white space in this kind of a website design is optimized for different screen resolutions.
1) The designer has to ensure that there is no problem in the design with respect to different screen resolutions. This may become a challenge at times.
2) Content types with a set width (like images and video) cannot be set according to different screen resolutions.
3) One has to ensure that there is enough content so that the white space is not excessive, for very large screen resolutions.
3. Adaptive Web Design vs Responsive Web Design
Adaptive Web Design
This kind of design focuses on the need of the user and uses a progressive enhancement technique to design the web pages. Adaptive web design adapts itself to fit into various screen resolutions. Adaptive web design relies on predefined screen sizes to adapt itself to resolutions across devices.
1) Adaptive website design fits into different screen sizes and is user-friendly for the website visitors.
1) Adaptive designs are not very convenient to create as one has to create different layouts for different screen sizes.
2) The second disadvantage is related to the first. While creating different layouts for different screen sizes, one cannot cover all the sizes for all the screen resolutions, especially the new ones.
Read More: Top 5 Popular CSS Frameworks of 2017
4. Responsive Web Design
Responsive website design is the most suitable type of web design style and the most popular in today’s time. It provides precise viewing experience of a website to the user, adapting to all screens across devices.
1) A responsive website loads faster than an adaptive website design as there is only one master layout that has to be loaded across devices.
1) It is slightly difficult to create a responsive website design, as compared to other formats. it requires a thorough development and testing process to ensure it is working correctly on all devices. The design has to planned well, so it can work on different screen sizes.
A responsive website design is the most popular form for businesses in today’s times.
With the increase in gadgets like smart phones, tablets etc., the demand for responsive web design & development is increasing day after day. At Markupbox, we convert your website designs into responsive HTML websites. We provide all sorts of responsive conversions and website theming services. The company has a track record of delivering projects on time and according to client expectations. Contact us for a free consultation.